OYO, Nigeria — Bishop Emmanuel Adetoyese Badejo of Nigeria's Catholic Diocese of Oyo has appealed for prayers for the safe release of teachers, students, and children abducted during an attack on schools in Ogbomoso in Nigeria's Oyo state on May 15.
In a statement issued May 18, the bishop described the incident as "deeply saddening" and urged Catholics to include prayers for the victims in every Mass and prayer gathering.
"In view of the recent and deeply saddening incident of the abduction of teachers, students, and children in schools in Ogbomoso, I urgently appeal that, if not already being done, we include the intention for the safe release of the captives in every holy Mass henceforth," Badejo said.
He also directed that the intention be remembered in all intercessory prayers, including the ongoing novena to the Holy Spirit ahead of Pentecost Sunday.
The appeal follows the attack on Ahoro-Esiele/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso and the abduction of pupils, students, and teachers from Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School.
According to Sahara Reporters, armed men invaded the schools during class hours and shot a teacher, causing panic among students, teachers, and residents, before abducting a principal, identified as Rachael Alamu, along with an unspecified number of students.
Sources in the community said the attackers fled the area using the principal's vehicle and escaped into a nearby forest reserve bordering the community.
Residents also lamented the delayed response from security agencies, noting that the nearest police station is located far from the affected community.
The spokesperson for the Oyo State Police Command, Ayanlade Olayinka, confirmed the attack and disclosed that tactical and intelligence teams had been deployed to rescue the victims and apprehend those responsible.
On May 18, teachers in the area staged a peaceful protest following the abduction of students and fellow educators. The demonstrators shut down classrooms and marched to the Teaching Service Commission office in Ogbomoso, carrying placards and calling for urgent government intervention.
The protest followed the circulation of a disturbing viral video allegedly showing one of the abducted teachers being beheaded by the kidnappers. The victim was later identified as Michael Oyedokun, a mathematics teacher.
Speaking to journalists on May 18, Gov. Seyi Makinde provided details about the abductions in the three schools.
"We can now confirm conclusively that at Community Secondary School, about seven students were abducted, while at First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted, along with about seven teachers. Unfortunately, as I reported yesterday, one of them was killed," the governor said.
He added: "Whatever it is they demand, we are ready to listen and address what we can as a state government. But the children and their teachers must be released."
The governor also urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies.
"If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to act. We will not surrender to terror. We will do everything possible to ensure that our children and their teachers return safely," Makinde said.
In his May 18 statement, Badejo called for prayers for political leaders in Nigeria, asking God to grant them wisdom and courage to address the country's worsening insecurity.
"I also ask that we pray earnestly for our government, that God may grant our leaders the wisdom, insight, and courage needed to act swiftly and decisively in the protection of our people," he said.
The bishop underscored the power of prayer in moments of fear and uncertainty, saying: "Dear brothers and sisters, prayer is the greatest power we possess. Let us use it to the fullest."
"May the merciful God hear our cry, answer us with his mercy, and favor our land with lasting peace. Kyrie Eleison. Amen," Badejo implored.
This story was first published by ACI Africa, the sister service of EWTN News in Africa, and has been adapted by EWTN News.

